Jesus and the Tax Collectors
The points of the passage:
1. Jesus called Matthew to Himself, and Matthew wasn’t ashamed of it.
· Application #1 - Don’t be ashamed of knowing and following Jesus.
2. The Pharisees were concerned with social classification, and Jesus was concerned with spiritual condition.
· Application #2 - Focus on the condition of souls.
3. Jesus chaps the Pharisees again.
· Application #3 - Recognize the authority of Jesus.
4. The main point: God prioritizes mercy over religion.
· Main Application: Reflect the mercy of God more than the rules of religion.